Sept. 9: Advocating for your children

I think I covered a lot of this in yesterday's note.

I have a kid now and I hope I'll advocate for him whenever the need arises. But you know, sometimes I wonder if parents are too quick to advocate for their kids. When my mom was a kid, they had the strap at school. Her parents warned her that if she got the strap at school then she'd get it when she got home too. How many modern parents would make a promise like that?

-

The big trend in schools these days is anti-bullying. It seems like every school has an anti-bullying day or they bring in guest performers to do anti-bullying workshops. I wonder how much good they do.

I was bullied in school but I think I was a bit of a bully too. I wasn't a very good one (5'3" and maybe a hundred pounds) but I sure made a few people cry by the time I'd graduated high school. Funny thing is I never really thought of it as bullying, I thought I was simply doing my best to "put the bad kids in their place."

-

I'll do my best to teach my kid not to bully anyone. If I ever catch wind that he is, I'll bring the kid to his victim's house, make him apologize, and then I'll order him to sit down with this kid and talk to him and we're not going home until he can tell me five things he likes about him.

But of course my kid will never bully anyone because he is an angel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80