Sept. 24: Self control

Everyone has amazing self control when they're just starting to do something.

I had amazing self control on January 1, when I vowed that I would write one note a day, everyday, for the duration of 2014. This is probably a stupid decision for someone with an 11-month-old baby to care for. Babies have a habit of making you put your dreams on hold.

So there I am, sitting in front of my computer, trying to write my note a day. My son sees me and has a fit. He yells "Ba ba ba ba ba" which is baby talk for "Dad, stop writing and focus one hundred per cent of your attention on me." He then decides that gaining possession of my keyboard is the most important thing in the universe. When it becomes clear to him that I am not going to hand him my QWERTY, he shrieks.

The only reason I am able to write this now is because my son is sleeping.*

*

If you have a mind for it, check out my very first note of the year. It's called The Photocopier Bully and it was suggested to me by my friend, Dessi. That first week was pretty great. Every note was long and detailed and, if I may say so myself, fun to read.

But something happened somewhere along the way. Maybe I grew bored with the concept. Maybe I became discouraged that no one was reading my notes. Maybe I just started believing that the whole concept was a project in vanity.

Who knows?

I will say that writing takes an enormous amount of self control.

Maybe I'll do some writing now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80