Sept. 15: Selfies

Here is a selfie:



I took that picture a month ago. I took it because the newspaper needed a new picture of me for when I write my column. I guess the old picture is ancient history now. I have since added grey to my hair.

-

This title was given to me by my friend, Malavika, who says she is indifferent to selfies. The reason she is indifferent to selfies is she is not a 15-year-old girl with a cell phone. Those people are allowed to get super excited about selfies. They are also allowed to dot their is with hearts and collect posters from Tiger Beat magazine.

After she gave me the title, I asked if her inspiration was the Chainsmokers' song Selfie. She assured me it was not.

-

In any case, I don't have a problem with selfies. In fact, with today's new cell phone/camera technology, selfies are easy to make. They don't necessarily broadcast narcissism either. If you were at the Eiffel Tower or the Acropolis or at a meeting where a New Democrat was saying something smart, you might want to immortalize the occasion too. Take a selfie.

Hey world, I was there.

-

When I was 9, my mom gave me her old camera. It was very easy to use. You loaded the film in the back and then you closed the door. The camera automatically loaded the film.

Took that camera to my Grade 4 retreat at Dinosaur Park, which was somewhere in Alberta. I took a selfie. I wish I could find that selfie. It is probably in my parents' storage room somewhere.

Camera kind of looked like this.Camera kind of looked like this.

-

I am reluctant to take selfies because I don't want people to accuse me of narcissism.

Actually, I'm not that wonderful at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80