Aug. 31: Girls and boys

Girls and boys think radically different from each other. People who say there's no difference between the genders (besides the obvious physical ones) don't know what they're talking about. If there's a problem, boys want to solve it. Girls want to sit around and talk about how the problem makes them feel.

-

I was in a Toys R Us store once and the whole store was divided into two sections - blue and pink. The blue was the boys section and in it you would find toy dump trucks and sports stuff and video games where you can stab people in the head and make them die. In the girls section there were dollies and pretend kitchens and my little pony and video games where you could make Barbi cover everything with glitter.

That whole practice stopped last fall when a special interest group persuaded the toy magnate to stop marketing its toys by gender. This is sexist, the special interest group said. Sexism is bad.

-

Sexism is awesome.

-

I used to experience sexual discrimination every month when I paid my car insurance. When I was 20, I shelled out about $130 every month to drive my used Mazda. A girl my age, driving the same car with the same drivers' record, would have paid a fraction of that. I didn't mind. I knew that boys my age tend to be a little more reckless behind the wheel than their female counterparts. Kind of made sense.

But ask yourself this question... if I could demonstrate that a specific ethnic group is more likely to cause a car collision, would it be alright to charge them a higher insurance premium?

If not, why not?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80