Sept. 23: Blue jobs vs. pink jobs

A newspaper I was working for needed a new receptionist. The publisher told her front end staff not to bring her any resumes from men. She wanted to hire a woman.

Is that sexist or is it pragmatic?

We're told that the general public prefers dealing with women. I doubt the newspaper would have lost any revenue had a dude been sitting at the front desk, but still...

-

Reality is sexist.

If you're building a house, which work crew is going to get it done faster - a group of 50 men or a group of 25 men and 25 women?

Answer honestly.

-

When I was 21, I dated a girl named Wendy, who managed a clothes store at Chinook Centre. I took her to work one day and I saw that everyone who worked in the store was a woman. I asked Wendy if she'd ever hire a man and she said no.

"They'd go crazy," she said. "Dealing with a store full of women with PMS. No man can take that."

Wendy was only ticklish on her knees.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

-

Once I was in a Toys R Us and I saw that the store was actually segregated.

There was a pink section and a blue section. The pink section had dollies and Easy Bake Ovens and little housecleaning sets. The blue section had trucks and action figures and doctor kits.



I've seen kids loose in toy stores and I notice that the girls gravitate to the Barbies and the boys gravitate to the Transformers. I guess the big question is this: Nature or nurture?



-

I think it's stupid to want to live in a world that free of prejudice. I've said it before and I'll say it again - sexual discrimination can be a wonderful thing.

I say this as someone who used to face sexual discrimination on a regular basis. Indeed, when I was 20 years old, I faced such discrimination every month when I paid my car insurance.

And guess what? It's still going on. I just did a "free car insurance quote" thingee on the Internet and I learned that if I was driving my current vehicle as a 20-year-old male, I'd be paying $232 a month for insurance. If I was a 20-year-old woman (same car, same policy, same license, same driving history) I'd be paying $165.25. Those darned sexist insurance companies are charging me an extra $800 a year just because I have XY chromozones.

-

But yes, there are perfectly good reasons to suggest that young men should be required to pay higher insurance premiums than young women.

But if I could prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Asians are more responsible for car collisions than their Caucasian and African counterparts, should they be required to pay higher premiums too?

If not, why not?

-

The person who gave me this note title also works in a clothes store.

I wonder if she'd agree with Wendy.

(But I don't wonder about her knees.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80