Sept. 8: It takes a village

I haven't read Hilary Rodham Clinton's book, It Takes a Village, but I understand that its premise is that society should take a more active role in raising children. This offended a number of Mrs. Clinton's detractors - former US presidential nominee Bob Dole took issue with the book's subject, stating that it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a family.

True dat.

Now I'm not a Clinton defender but I highly doubt the former First Lady was advocating ripping children out of homes and letting everyone in society raise them en masse. Certainly she has to understand that a child first forms bonds with his (or her) family and then, slowly, creates relationships with other relatives, friends, and teachers. I think that what she's getting at is that the rest of us should cherish these experiences.

*

Yes, children need parents but they also need other adults to take an interest in them. It makes them think: "Mom and dad are only encouraging me because it's their job but this person over here really seems to care. That makes me feel pretty cool."

I was encouraged as a writer, as a magician, as an actor. I was encouraged by my parents but also by professionals in those fields. I doubt I'd be where I am today if it wasn't for their encouragement.

*

I've told the story before about this total dick who used to help my dad coach my kid brother's baseball team. I was in the family room practicing a magic trick when my dad and the assistant coach came in to talk about the upcoming season. I was asked to perform, which I did. The assistant coach let me know how unimpressed he was. He actually heckled me and laughed at me. I was maybe 12. I didn't cry. I wasn't even close to tears. I remember wanting to say: "Gee, you sure are an asshole." I didn't though because I was scared my dad would get mad. In retrospect, I wonder if he would have.

*

If anyone ever disrespects my kid like that, I will call him an asshole to his face. I will then invite my kid to call him an asshole too and then I will kick the asshole out of my apartment.

That's probably not a very good parenting strategy but hey, no one is perfect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80