May 31: My favourite superhero

Wonder Woman.



I seriously don't understand why there hasn't been a big screen Wonder Woman movie yet. Studios are happy to make movies out of Batman and Superman and Green Lantern and Spider Man and Daredevil, but Wonder Woman has to stay put on the Amazon Isles. Sexist. Or maybe they just need her to send books around the world.

I am not a nerd but there is one thing about Wonder Woman I know - her magic lasso is so powerful that it can even stop Superman from flying away.

Well I want there to be a Wonder Woman movie and I have very high expectations for it. But there are two things I don't want it to be.

I don't want Wonder Woman to be an over-sexualized chick. I know Maxim is going to have a field day with whatever actress is picked to play the lady with the star-spangled shorts, but Wonder Woman is more than just boobs and thighs and glittering eyes. She's a crimefighter and her motivation is to make the world a safer place, not to get men all hot and bothered.

I also don't want the Wonder Woman movie to be all about Putting Men in Their Place. I'm sure the movie will have at least one scene where some drunken overconfident playa gets the stuffing kicked out of him after trying to take our gal for a spin. But I do hope the bulk of the movie will flow from her gender rather than just react to it. Neither the Joker nor Poison Ivy has ever felt threatened by Bruce Wayne's penis. Let Wonder Woman's enemy respect her without patronizing her. I don't want to see Wonder Woman joining Planned Parenthood or castigating a boss for not giving his female employees enough maternity leave. I just want to see her beat up terrorists and save the world.

Every woman's favourite superhero should be Wonder Woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80