June 13 - Tattoos in the workplace

Is it appropriate to show your tattoos in the workplace?

That kind of depends, I think.

If you work in a day care, you probably don't want someone with skulls and crossbones tattooed all over their bodies to be working there. Might scare the kids. That kind of thing might fly if you're working at a Harley dealership or in a kitchen at an oil rig camp. If you have any of the muppets from Sesame Street tattooed on your forehead, you probably won't get a job doing the weather forecast on the six o'clock news.

There's going to be lots of rainThere's going to be lots of rain

-

The good news is that tattoos won't really affect your workplace performance. Most tattoo artists won't tattoo faces or hands and these are the only parts of your body that need to be exposed.

This is a general rule, of course. If your job is cutting down trees or throwing big chunks of coal at the ground or playing hockey for the Calgary Flames, most people won't see your hands because they will be in gloves. But if you are a concert pianist or a brain surgeon or a closeup magician, you probably don't want to get K I L L tattooed on each knuckle (unless you are a silly street magician who rips something off from Tarbell and then makes a DVD about it and tries to sell it for $19.99, but that's another story altogether.

-

I do not have tattoos. I am nervous to get a tattoo because there's something in the Bible that suggests they are bad. My brother won't get a tattoo for the same reason. Another reason I won't get a tattoo is I have other things I need to spend my money on. Some examples of this are groceries, car insurance, child support, bottles of Dr. Pepper, and decks of playing cards.

-

Something bad has happened. I just remembered that I wrote about tattoos in my April 4 note. In that note, I repeated much of what I say here. I feel like a brownie with chopped nuts in it.

If I were to get a tattoo, here is what I would consider:

- Snoopy
- A cross
- The 4 pips from a deck of cards
- a fountain pen
- Mr. Impossible (shown below)



-

You cannot be fired for getting a tattoo. Because of this, tattoos shouldn't affect your role in the workplace.

Whenever I see someone with a tattoo, I usually ask them what it means. This is because people like to tell the stories.

People need to tell stories.

-

This seems like an opportune time to quote David Lee Roth, who sings a song called Tattoo with his band, Van Halen.

The song goes, in part, like this:

I got Elvis on my elbow
When I flex Elvis talks
I got hula girls on the back of my leg
And she hula's when I walk

Speaking cherry red
Screaming electric green
Purple mountains' majesty
You can talk to me
Talk to me babe!

Swapmeet Sally
Tramp stamp tat
Mousewife to Momshell in the time it took to get that new tattoo

-

The whole point of this song is that tattoos tell stories and that they can make you appear more badass than you actually are,

In the meantime, I will defer to this guy:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80