June 11 - Is Facebook a great invention or is it the end of privacy?

When you sign up for Facebook or almost any other site on the Internet, you will inevitably be promised that the site in question will not share your personal information with anyone.

But are they telling the truth?

When I go on Facebook, I see a list of trending articles I can read. Mostly they are about NHL hockey or magic or Christianity. The fact that these subjects interest me and that Facebook is giving them to me cannot be a coincidence. Articles on manicures, gay bath houses and Russian history somehow never show up on my feed.

-

I had a friend named John, who is dead now. John refused to sign up for Facebook. He believed it was Satanic - that the government ran it as a means of monitoring and controlling its people through subtle online indoctrination.

Perhaps it does indoctrinate us. How many of us now believe that Facebook is an acceptable substitute for living life?

-

Obviously I think Facebook is a great invention. I use it to post note-a-day and my photo-a-day albums. I keep in touch with family, friends, and people I went to elementary school with 35 years ago. I put up funny videos of me playing with my son or doing magic tricks or saying "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

-

My son has a facebook account. He is 16 months old. Some people do not like this. They say I should delete his account. I won't though. It's cute that he has a Facebook account, where he can share baby pictures of himself. I have maximized his privacy settings though and I suppose this means I believe the Facebook people when they tell me they are good.

-

If Facebook is the end of privacy, it's evident that legions of young people don't care. I think it's safe to assume that 95 per cent of high school and college students have Facebook accounts. It's popular with seniors too. My own father, who will be 71 in a month, also signed up last year. He likes it but he can't get Criminal Case to work right.

1984 was never like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80