June 20: Angels and nature

I believe in angels. Most atheists believe in angels too. If you don't believe in angels then you deny the existence of the post office.

The word angel means messenger.

Can ya see my wings?Can ya see my wings?

-

I am writing a book about an angel. I decided the book should also have an archangel and I chose to make Raphael the archangel and that is because Raphael is not mentioned in the Bible but he IS mentioned in the Appocrypha and so I don't think I will get struck by lightning for turning a celestial being into a quasi-fictional character.

I would not be able to sleep if I was putting words in the mouths of Uriah, Michael, or Gabriel.

-

I actually have a book called A Dictionary of Angels. Here is a picture of it:



I have just opened my copy of A Dictionary of Angels and I have made a serendipitous discovery. I was using a ticket stub for a bookmark and the stub was from the University of Calgary Drama Department's production of the Bacchae by Euripides, which I went to see on Oct. 18, 1995. I guess I have owned that book for almost 20 years.

I remember the show was directed by someone named Nicole Zylstra and that one of the actors' names was Shaker.

On the back of the ticket stub is the phone number of a Vancouver playwright who I used to be friends with but then we stopped being friends because I annoyed her too much.

According to the page where the bookmark was placed, there is an angel named Nitika who presides over the sixth hour and has something to do with protecting precious stones. This has been verified by no one at all.

-

When I write my angel book, I have an angel nightlight that I like to plug in. When I write it at Denny's, I insist on plugging it in next to me. The waitresses think it's cute. I thank them by tipping them.

-

Hey this is interesting - the Angel dictionary tells me that N'Zuriel Yhwh is one of the eight highest ranking angel princes of the Merkabah, all of whom, it seems, occupy stations superior to Metatron - who is either an Autobot or a Decepticon.

(A fly buzzed into my ear as I wrote the above sentence. No word of a lie.)

-

Actually, I probably shouldn't make fun of Metatron since he is "perhaps the greatest of all heavenly heirarchs" and is responsible for the sustenance of mankind. In the Talmud and the Targum, he is the link between humanity and the divine (in Christianity, that role is assumed by Jesus.) Some writers think Metatron might be the angel who wrestled Jacob and others think he might have been the Earthly incarnation of Enoch who, like Elijah, pulled off the neat Old Testament trick of not dieing.

-

Ubaviel is an angel with dominion over the zodiacal sign of Capicorn. I'm tagging some of my fellow Capricorns to see what they think about this.

-

The highest rank for an angel is Seraphim. There are only seven of them and they surround the throne of God and sing praises to Him day and night. After that there are cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels and angels.

Cool.

-

Did you know there's an angel of nature? S' true. Apparently her name is Ariel. Here's something about her:

"Ariel is known as the angel of nature. She oversees the protection and healing of animals and plants, as well as the care of the Earth's elements (such as water, wind, and fire). She punishes those who harm God's creation. People sometimes ask for Ariel's help to: take good care of the environment and God's creatures (including both wild animals and pets) and to provide healing that they need, according to God's will (Ariel works with the archangel Raphael when healing)." Source: Angels.About.Com

Yay! There's Raphael again. He is quickly becoming my favourite angel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80