June 17: Needles

I've gotten used to needles.

I have allergies, see? Every year around this time, my nose turns into a snot factory. This is because my nose and trees are mortal enemies. The trees emit pollen and my nose resents this. I wish I could convince my nose to just buy a chainsaw instead of produce copious amounts of lung butter, but my nose doesn't listen.

Why should it? It doesn't have ears.

By the way, you might think that 'lung butter' is a gross term, but let me assure you that it's snot.

-

It's not just my nose that bugs me either. In fact, the runny nose is a picnic compared to what my eyes go through.

My eyes get as dry as the nose gets wet. They turn red, they itch, they give me all sorts of pain. I sometimes get prescription eyedrops and often my eyes are so red that they sting when the drops go inside.

And I haven't even mentioned the dry mouth, the coughing, and the occasional rash.

Hay fever! Man, I love it.

-

I remember exactly where I was when I discovered that I was an allergy sufferer.

I was 10 years old and I was away for a week at Camp Cadicazu. I, along with the rest of the kids in the Kootenay cabin, had gone on a nature walk. About five minutes in, my face began to puff up and I started to sneeze and my fellow campers called me a wuss. I left camp a full three days early. My parents were away so my Aunt Connie had to pick me up at the bus terminal. I went back to her place, sat in the backyard, and ate a banana pudding pop while my cousin, Paula, played in a wading pool.

Might have been one of the worst days of my life.

-

My brother claimed to suffer from allergies too, though he never had them as bad as I did. When I was a teenager, I think I accused him of feigning illness so he could garner sympathy. I told him that if he really wanted my allergies, I'd gladly give them to him. Allergies suck.

In the winter, it was my responsibility to shovel the snow. My brother mowed the lawn. I pretty much couldn't.

I used to hate the beginning of summer. The last two weeks of June and the first two of July were pretty unbearable. That really sucked. You started the summer wishing it was a quarter done already.

-

One summer at the cottage, I decided to sleep in the inflatable raft on my grandparents' porch. That's when the allergy bugs really ganged up on me. I was coughing and sneezing and sweating and itching. Turned out I'd developed a really bad rash to boot. The way my mom looked at me the next day, I thought I was going to cry.

-

I started popping pills. Hismanal. Claratin. Reactine. Aerius. I have no idea how they get these names. It sounds like they just throw a bunch of syllables in a hat and pick three at random.

Then I decided to start getting allergy shots.

The shots worked for one year. There was one summer where I was totally free of allergies. Then the next summer they were back full force.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80