June 7: Shteevie's top 10 claims to fame

1. As a magician, I jumped into a TV set almost 10 years before David Copperfield did. I designed the routine too. There's a difference, of course. Copperfield's routine didn't suck. (Tagging the people who witnessed it.)



2. I know what happiness sounds like. It is this: "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee." Say that right now. You are smiling. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

3. I have been writing a novel since December 4 of 1988 and it still hasn't died in my mind. I wonder if it will ever be done.

4. I pioneered the art of "wandering journalism." This started when I was working at a newspaper office in East Central Alberta back in 2000. The office put together three newspapers and I worked on two of them. That meant that I was very busy on Mondays and Tuesdays but Wednesdays saw me sitting at my desk and twiddling my thumbs while the paper's editor and reporter worked on that other paper. I told my editor I felt counter-productive just sitting around doing nothing so I was going to get in my car and drive around the county and see what I could find to write about. It wound up being a big hit and I still spend every Wednesday doing that today.

5. Every girl I have ever dated has a Prince song assigned to them.

6. I once wrote a book about all the stupid things I have done where women were involved. Only a handful of people have read it and I've let a few women read the chapters assigned to them. (Hi Michelle. Hi Laura. Hi Maria.) I used to think I'd like to publish it and let it become an underground cult hit. But in the end, I decided not to.

7. I am a writer and a magician. I think I am mediocre at both crafts and wonder if I would excel at one if I gave the other up.

8. I am currently one third of the way through my mission to see the Calgary Flames play in every single NHL arena.

9. I have two blogs. One of them is the note-a-day blog and the other is my David Mamet blog, where I discuss the works of David Mamet.

10. Celebrities I have met: Boby Curtola, both members of Roxette, and (soon) Al Pacino.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80