June 12 - Best birthday ever

For my 40th birthday, I decided I was going to make a photo diary of the day. I got up really early, drove down to Denny's in Lancaster so I could watch Team Canada play Team USA in the World Junior Hockey Championship Semifinals. Canada lost 5-1. That birthday started yucky.

For my 20th birthday, I visited my friend, Cade, in Vancouver. We went for supper somewhere and we were joined by a playwright I admired, who gifted me with a Writers' Guide for that year, 1993. That was a pretty good birthday.

When I was 16, my family was supposed to go to Sara's Pyrohy Hut for supper but then my brother missed his bus home from the place where he'd gone skiing and we had to postpone the dinner. That was a crappy birthday.

When I was 7, my sister got me the Twin-Pod Cloud Car. That was a pretty good birthday.



When I was 18, my friends took me out and I got really drunk and then I tried to break into a real estate office. That was a good birthday but it sucked too.

When I was 25, I celebrated my birthday with my first ever real girlfriend. That was a good birthday.

I've spent birthdays toboganning and relaxing in jacuzzis.

I've spent them skiing and eating fried chicken.

I've spent them with family and with friends.

One year, I went to see the movie The Pelican Brief with my uncle in Vancouver and I got the impression that there were a million other places he'd rather be.

One year, I tried to spend my birthday with a girl I'd met named Renee and she cancelled on me at the last minute and she never spoke to me again and I always wondered if she assumed I just wanted to hang with her so I could get laid.

Once I got to spend my birthday with my son.

Once I got to spend it by giving J a zerbit.

Once I got to spend it by helping someone get off their living room floor. They were in agony and they needed my help. That person thinks that was a yucky birthday for me.

That person is wrong.

Today, I try to do charity magic shows on my birthday.

This is because the best birthday gift I can have is feel useful and appreciated.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80