March 29: I like to dance

No one will ever pay money to watch me dance. No one will ever hire me for my dancing ability. When I was 15, I did magic in a talent show in Cochin, Saskatchewan. The problem was there were only three categories - musical instrument, dancing, and singing. Reluctantly, I entered the singing contest.

I won second place in the people's choice category. My prize was a plaque. First prize was a trophy and $300 cash. THAT prize went to a professional troupe called the Creeland Dancers, who had stormed the Cochin community hall with their big authentic native drums and their red and white uniforms. They had a dozen dancers altogether and they performed six duets. They scooped up first place like it was ice cream. I still hate them 27 years later.

Three hundred bucks would have lasted me the rest of the summer. I would have had enough money to actually take a girl on a date. Failing that, it would have covered McDonalds and movie rentals for Jason, Larry and me for the rest of the summer.

-

The highlight of my journalism career was watching Rae MacCulloch break a world record for the most highland dancers dancing at once. Rae MacCulloch was the founder of the MacCulloch School of Dance. She was the guest of honour at the 2004 Glengarry Highland Games, where the record was broken. Mrs. MacCulloch, who was then in her 80s, danced alongside all her past and present students. When it was done, she jumped up and down and shrieked. I have never seen anyone look happier.

That I got to record that is a privilege.

-

Prince is the best musician in the world. Now and then, a club in Toronto hosts all-night Prince dance parties. I've been to two of them - once with AV and once with Nikky. I probably will not go to another one because things are different now.

-

In Grade 8 there were these two girls named Corina and Joanna and I went to a school dance once and I saw them do a synchronized dance routine to a Madonna song.

I don't think I danced at all that night. What would be the point?

-

But, you know, I did like to dance.

There was this girl in Grade 9 named Kari and she had really long hair and I decided she was the prettiest girl in school and once I asked her to dance and she said yes and it was a slow song and I thought she was going to reject me but she didn't and we slow danced.

And then I got in the habit of asking her to dance every slow dance and she always said yes even though she was probably just being polite. I don't think I creeped her out. I think she thought I was sweet with the potential to be annoying.

Once after I finished a slow dance, a girl came out to talk to me. She said that Kari's boyfriend didn't want me dancing with her anymore. I said okay and I left.

-

I don't dance anymore. But sometimes I do magic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80