Oct. 31: Halloween memories

The Halloween dance was better than the welcome to school dance. I remember that about Grade 7. At the welcome to school dance, all the kids laughed at me and told me I couldn't dance. At the Halloween dance, nobody cared. I was wearing a ghost costume. Like I was expected to be Barishnikov in that.

My friend, Helen, told me she was going to the dance dressed as a punk rocker. I pictured her in safety pins, a black torn dress and a green mohawk. Instead, she came as Charlie Chaplin.

We danced.

-

The next year, it was $2 to get into the Halloween dance. $1 if you wore a costume.

I went to the dance with a cheap masquerade mask over my eyes. I got in for a dollar. This offended a handful of kids and they spent the rest of the dance lobbying the management to charge me an extra dollar.

-

In Grade 4, my friend, Matt, and I thought it would be great to go out for Halloween dressed as Pac-Man.

"We could chase ghosts," I said. "They'll be scared."

But the ghosts we saw refused to be scared. They were not interested in playing Pac-Man. They just wanted treats.






Soon I was too old to go trick-or-treating. I told my parents that I would hand out the treats instead.

That was the year Matt's father had gone to Saudi Arabia. He'd come back with some Arabic clothes and Matt had decided to go trick-or-treating as an arab. (This was pre-PC times.)

Matt told me that he didn't have a sweet tooth, that he liked salty snacks instead. And so I prepared a special Matt pack for him when he called. It was a loot bag stuffed with potato chips and five different kinds of sausage sticks.

He appreciated it.

-

I just got home from Halloween. I took my son to some Halloween parties. He did not enjoy them. Three hours ago, he was asleep. I made the mistake of yanking him out of bed, dressing him in a monster costume, and then taking him to a noisy building where kids dressed in strange attire ran around screaming on sugar highs.

He's fine now though. Don't worry.

-

I was working at a bar in Calgary once on Halloween. Some dude came in dressed up as the alien from the Alien movie. He won first prize. Someone told me that guy went to all the big costume parties in Calgary.

"He always wins first prize."

-

Let's see...

I spent a Halloween watching my friend Scott McClelland's Carnival Diablo show.

I spent a Halloween driving around southwest Calgary with my friend, Daryl. He wanted to find kids who were stealing candy from younger kids so he could beat them up.

I spent a Halloween in Kingston taking my godson trick-or-treating. He was dressed as a fireman.

I probably spent a few Halloweens alone and feeling sorry for myself. I would have been in my early 20s.

-

Happy Halloween everyone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80