Oct. 17: If I worked on a cattle ranch

If  I  worked on  a  cattle ranch,  I  would  say  moo  a  lot.  Seriously,  saying moo  to  cows  never  gets  boring.  Cows  are  stupid.

I  remember  when  our  newspaper started  putting  out  one  agriculture page  every  issue. Suddenly,  one  of  my  responsibilities  was  to  get  one  picture, every  week,  for  the  farm  page.  Problem is  that  there  just  isn’t  a  whole  lot  of  excitement  in  the  world  of  farming. Our  sports  guy  could  get  pictures  of  football  players or  basketball  players or  hockey  players. Our  news  guys  could  get  pictures  of  people  getting their  faces  painted or  people  playing violins  or  guys  in  kilts  throwing  telephone poles.  But  the  farm  page  –  not  a  whole  lot  to  pick  from.  Ooh,  there’s Farmer  Bob  and  his  new  tractor.  Exciting stuff.  Let  me  get  your  picture,  Bob.  Click.  There  we  go.  Riveting.

And  so  I  started  taking pictures  of  cows.

Seriously,  I’d  be  driving  home  on  a  Friday  afternoon and  I’d  realize “Darn  it,  I  forget  to  get  a  farm  picture.” Then  I  would  start  driving down  a  country road  and  soon  I  would  find  cows.  The  cows  were  always doing  one  of  the  following things:

-         Eating  grass
-         Saying  moo
-         Peeing
-         Standing  there

I  would  get  out  of  my  car  and  approach the  cows.  I  would  never  get  less  than  30  feet  from  them.  That’s because  when  you  approach  strange cows  and  you  get  inside that  30  foot  buffer,  the  cows  get  suspicious.  They  stop  eating grass  and  they  stop  saying moo  and  they  just  look  at  you.  Sometimes  they’ll pee.  Cows  are  stupid.

The  cow  will  never  stop  looking  at  you.  If  you  get  any  closer, the  cows  will  run  away.  That’s  why  it’s  a  good  idea  to  stay  at  least  30  feet  away.  When  you’re  that  far,  you  can  get  an  action shot  of  cows  eating  or  saying  moo.  Peeing  cow  pictures  somehow never  make  it  into  the  news.

After  you  get  the  cow  picture,  you  have  to  write  a  caption  for  it.  This  is  hard  to  do  because  you’re writing  the  same  caption  you  wrote  50  times  before, only  now  you  have  to  come  up  with  different words.  Something  like:  “As  summer draws  to  a  close,  these  cows  on  Mr.  Cumming’s dairy  farm  take  advantage  of  the  warm  weather  by  going  out  to  the  field  for  an  afternoon of  peeing,  eating, and  saying  moo.”  I  think  once  I  was  so  bored  with  the  whole  bloody  thing  that  I  didn’t  even  write  a  cutline.  Our  readers  saw  a  picture of  cows.  Beneath that  was  one  word:  “Cows.”

CowsCows

Then  one  day  I  got  really  intelligent and  I  realized that  I  didn’t have  to  take  cow  pictures anymore.  By  this  time,  the  newspaper  was  running  on  a  lot  of  stories about  the  beef  and/or  dairy  industry.  So  I  took  one  of  my  old  cow  pictures and  I  saved  it  in  my  file  photos.  Everytime we  ran  a  story  about  beef  or  dairy,  I  ran  that  picture.  The  picture  showed two  cows  looking plaintively  at  the  camera.  One  of  the  cows  was  saying  moo.  Both  of  those  cows  have  since  been  slaughtered, eaten  and  excreted by  human  beings. So  it  goes.

So  if  I  worked  on  a  cattle ranch,  I  would  be  a  great  friend to  all  the  journalists  who  worked  in  my  neck  of  the  woods.  Every  week  I  would  provide pictures  of  my  cows  and  I  would  do  really inventive  write-ups  too:  “Bessie  the  cow  looks  extra  happy  today  because the  radio  in  the  barn  is  playing Soundgarden.”

Also,  I  would  eat  T-bone steak  every  night  and  then  I  would  develop  prostrate cancer  and  then  I’d  die.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80