Oct. 18: Resiliency in a digital world

I  remember  when  Beavis  and  Butthead  was  one  of  the  most  popular  cartoons on  TV.  Created by  one  Mike  Judge, it was  a  crudely animated  show  that  lampooned  the  worship  of  stupidity.  The  titular  characters were  teenaged  metal  heads  who  had  no  ambition,  no  common  sense, and  no  friends besides  each  other. They  spent  their  lives  making fun  of  music  videos  and  being  ambivalent about  pretty  much  everything.

I  imagine  Disney animators  saw  it  and  wanted to  rip  their  hearts  out.

-

I  am  an  aspiring  author. My  friend,  Joe,  is  a  successful  novelist who  is  currently making  a  killing thanks  to  the  sudden  popularity of  electronically  published books.  He’s  famous for  eschewing  traditional publishing  and  is  a  solid  convert  to  the  e-pub  world.

I  am  happy  for  my  friend  but  I  am  worried  about  the  direction that  e-pub  may  be  taking us.  I’m  sorry  but  I  just  don’t  think  “a  funy  story  about  how  I  got  lade  and  smokd  a  lot  of  doap  in  high  scool” just  doesn’t  deserve to  be  listed alongside  Moby  Dick.

-

Back  in  the  mid  90s,  when  it  became  increasingly obvious  that  David  Copperfield  wasn’t going  to  put  out  another television  special  anytime soon,  my  magician friends  and  I  wondered  if  there  would  ever  be  another  Copperfield. Would  there  ever  be  another illusionist  charismatic  enough to  commandeer  such  a  lion’s share  of  the  television  viewing audience.

We  asked  this  question  in  an  era  when  cable  television  was  relatively  new  and  the  internet  was  only  used  by  high  ranking  military people.  It  was  an  era  when  there  were  only  three  big  networks.  The  Arts  &  Entertainment  channel was  airing  Masterpiece Theatre  and  Law  &  Order  instead  of  crap  like  Toddlers  &  Tiaras. 

Now  we  are  in  the  era  of  Criss  Angel  and  youtube. Go  online  and  you  can  not  just  see  everything Copperfield  has  ever  done,  you  can  also  view  exposes of  everything  he’s  done. 

-

I  have  a  book  of  writing  tips  by  the  late  Western writer  and  Pulitzer Prize  winner,  AB  Guthrie  Jr.  One  of  the  things he  says  is:  “Good  enough is  not  good  enough.  The  very  best  you  can  do  is  maybe  good  enough.”

In  Philip  Roth’s novel  The  Ghost  Writer,  the  young  author Nathan  Zuckerman  is  meeting  his  idol,  one  EI  Lonoff. The  elder  writer describes  his  working process.  He  writes one  sentence  and  then  spends a  whole  morning dickering  with  it.  Then  he  has  lunch. Then  he  composes another  sentence  and  spends  the  afternoon  dickering with  that  one  too.  Then  the  day  is  over.

Me?  I  write  one  of  these  notes  every  day  and  I  publish  it,  thanks  to  the  digital world.

-

A  critic  once  told  me  that  I’m  a  lousy  writer,  at  least  as  far  as  this  blog  is  concerned. He’s  right,  I  suppose.  Pretty much  everything  on  this  blog  is  a  first  draft. When  I  review my  earlier  posts, I  cringe.  I  see  spelling mistakes,  grammatical  errors, and  sentences  that  just  scream to  be  re-arranged. I  am  reminded of  what  EB  White  said  everytime  he  submitted  a  column  to  New  York.  “It  could  be  better.”

-

I  don’t  think  I’m  going  to  carry  the  rotating pineapple  into  2015.  It’s  been  a  fun  challenge  but  I  have  too  much  on  my  plate  now  for  this  sort  of  creative  commitment. I  have  a  toddler  son  and  more  serious  works  I  want  to  concentrate on.

Besides,  I’m  not  getting  swamped with  love  letters.

-

One  of  the  differences  between the  arts  and  athletics  is  that  in  the  arts,  the  people with  the  most  talent  are  not  always rewarded.  Wayne  Gretzky and  Michael  Jordan are  rich  today  because  they  dominated  their  respective  sports. The  reason  no  one  touched them  is  that  no  one  could.

I  know  a  couple  of  people  who  graduated  from  the  National Theatre  School,  one  of  my  country’s  most  prestigious  theatrical  institutions. If  they  starred in  a  movie, fewer  people  would  see  it  than  something starring  Pamela  Anderson or  Paris  Hilton.

Trust  me,  if  I  could  play  hockey like  Jarome  Iginla, I  wouldn’t  be  sitting  where  I  am  right  now.  If  I  could  act  better  than  Paris  Hilton (and  you  know  what?  I  think  I  probably  can)  then  I  would  definitely still  be  sitting here  –  eating chicken  wings  and  wondering  if  the  Roughriders are  going  to  lose  tomorrow  (probably.)

Moral:  When  it  comes  to  the  arts,  being  successful is  like  winning the  lottery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80