Oct. 1: Indian summer

A Indian summer, Carrie was all over the floor
She was a wet net winner, and rarely ever left the store
She'd sing and dance all night, and wrong all the right outa me
Oh, pass me the vile and cross your fingers, it don't take time
Nowhere to draw the line.

-

That's a snatch of lyrics from Aerosmith's song Draw the Line. I think that was the first time I heard the term Indian Summer. I had no idea what it meant. I also had no idea who Carrie was or why Indian summer would cause her to be all over the floor. There was a girl in my class named Carrie and I was sort of familiar with the Brian dePalma film, Carrie, but I didn't think either of those Carries were who Steven Tyler was singing about.

-

Then I learned that Indian Summer, according to most of us, is a spell of warm weather after fall hits. People think that if you're walking around in a T-shirt and shorts one week before Halloween, then you're experiencing Indian Summer.

But the experts know differently.

The Farmer's Almanac tells us that Indian Summer can only fall between Nov. 11-20. An Indian Summer day is hazy and smoky, no wind. It is a warm day that must follow a cold spell. If these conditions are not met, it's not Indian Summer. You may be experiencing "an unusually warm day for this time of year" but sorry, it ain't Indian summer.

-

Unfortunately, when I think about Indian Summer, I think about the 1993 movie that stars Alan Arkin and Kevin Pollak and Mr. Evil Dead himself, Sam Raimi. I think about it because I know that despite its mostly American cast, it was filmed in Ontario, which is where I live now.

-

I guess I don't know if I've actually witnessed an Indian Summer Day. If I do, I hope that I'm standing on a wharf at a summer camp somewhere and I am wearing a blue and black checked plaid shirt and jeans that might be getting a bit too old. I hope I am looking at red and orange maple leafs floating on the water and I hope that the air smells like a campfire.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80