July 19: The day the hypnotist became a newspaper reporter

On my kitchen table at home, I have a book called The Art of Stage Hypnotism by Ormond McGill. I bought it about 25 years ago when I thought I might like to be a stage hypnotist. I gave up that dream when I tried to hypnotize a friend in my parents' basement and I failed miserably.

Here is a picture of Ormond McGill, who is dead now:



And here is a picture of the 12th president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Spencer W Kimball:



I always thought they looked alike but I am the only person in the world who would find that funny.

-

Ormond McGill was born in the same city that he died in, which is Palo Alto, California. Ormond McGill was considered the dean of American hypnotism. He probably liked raisins. He was also a magician. He wrote plenty of books about hypnotism, one of which was called The Secrets of Hypnotizing Women: How to Entrance and Charm Women, Communicate Subconsciously, Enhance Romance, Flirt Successfully, Sexually Enthrall. Anyone who would write a book with a title like that is a turd.

Of course, you probably have to be really good at something, like hypnotism, if you want the ladies to like you. When I pick up People Magazine around Sexiest Man Alive time, I'm probably not going to see this:



-

I'm going to stop picking on poor old Ormond McGill, who once wrote a book called Healing Is Remembering Who You Are. (Actually: Healing is getting lots of rest, eating well, getting regular exercise and going to the doctor, but I'll let it go at that.) In Ormond McGill's book, there is a reprint of a clipping detailing Ormond McGill's visit to a newspaper. He actually hypnotized a reporter and had him write a story, which he did. The reporter had no recollection of writing that story, but the paper printed it anyway. Ormond McGill was even kind enough to suggest that the somnambulating reporter stay away from rich foods. I guess the reporter was craving a burger and milkshake for lunch and instead he had a can of V8.

-

I wonder if Ormond McGill would enjoy being a newspaper reporter for a day or so. He could hypnotize everyone in the office and make them learn the difference between its and it's. Then I wouldn't have to kill anyone anymore.

-

If a hypnotist were to become a newspaper reporter, he might be interested in reporting on what happened at Collège du Sacré-Coeur in Quebec in the spring of 2012. Turns out that a 20-year-old hypnotist had hypnotized a group of teenaged girls and was unable to get them out of their trance. He had to call in his teacher to snap them out of it and wake them up.

I'm not sure if that 20-year-old is getting a lot of work these days. What I do know is that hypnotism is not something to be toyed with. However, you don't have to worry about hypnotizing someone so deep that they'll never be able to wake up. That's ridiculous.

My friend, Richard Cole, who gave me the title of this note, always tells his audiences that there's only one kind of hypnosis - self hypnosis. "The only person who can hypnotize you is yourself," he says.

And this is a good thing to say and it's a good thing to write in a newspaper too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80