January 26: Jesus, Muhammed and Buddha go to lunch

Well, where would they go for lunch?

Not to anyplace that served pork, that's for sure. Muhammed wouldn't touch it and Buddha probably wouldn't either. Christ probably would since He said that it's not what we put in our mouths that defile us, it's what comes out of them.

So they would probably do vegetarian. Buddha wouldn't eat a lot. I know modern depictions of him show him to be fat but apparently he was quite skinny. No way to be sure though. There are no photographs.

What would they talk about?

I don't know.

Muhammed would probably insist that Jesus was a great prophet and Jesus would say He was more than that - that he existed before Abraham sprang into existence, that He is the great I Am.

Look, I'm pretty ignorant on the Koran and what Buddha said and I don't really want to make a bunch of jokes at their expense. So maybe I'll just use this note to say that Christianity really doesn't mix with much. A long time ago, a young writer friend of mine used to tell people he was a zen Christian. I asked what that meant and he said it was like being a zen Buddhist, only you apply the principles of zen to Christianity.

My friend believed in meditation in addition to - or perhaps in spite of - regular Bible reading. This was nothing new. He was promoting personal epiphany over what's already revealed in scripture. God already tells us it's wrong to steal, so the zen Christian who says he had an epiphany and God told him it's okay to steal from rich people in order to give to charity should be thought of as suspect.

And on this busy Sunday, that's about all I have to say.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80