January 23: The Sectors

When we were kids, our next door neighbours were the Sectors. The wife's name was Ruth but I don't remember her husband's name. They were Jewish. I discovered this when my dad and I were returning from a church service. I asked my dad if he knew anyone who was Jewish and he said that the Sectors were. Mrs. Sector actually welcomed me into her home so I could pepper her with questions about her faith. They were good neighbours and they looked after my sister and I on the night our brother was born.

There are two things I will always associated with the Sectors.

The first is Rusty, the Sectors' dog. Rusty was white, probably a poodle cross. Mrs. Sector used to brush his teeth on their back balcony. He was a good and friendly dog and I think I was allowed to walk him once or twice.

The second (and I know my sister is expecting this, probably suggested this title just for this) is Modidlyandy.



This painting (or one like it) hung in Ruth Sector's living room. She told us the painter was Modigliani but my sister and I misheard it as Modidlyandy. As far as I'm concerned, the person in that picture is named Modidlyandy. I will believe this until my dying day and my sister, who I expect will be the longest continuous relationship I have in my life, will maintain the same thing. If my sister and I had been blessed with the gift of music and we decided to form a brother-sister duo, it is not unthinkable that we would dub ourselves Modidlyandy.

The Sectors had a son named Jeff and I think he died while vacationing somewhere in the Caribbean.

The last time I saw Mrs. Sector (I never could call her Ruth) was at South Centre Mall in Calgary. It was December and she was volunteering her time at some sort of charity booth. I wished her a Merry Christmas and then I corrected myself and wished her a Happy Hannukah. I messed up on purpose because I wanted to appear sensitive. I think Mrs. Sector knew that too.

I've no idea why I have never gifted my sister with a reprint of Modidlyandy. I really should one day. She can hang it in her home and let it be a touchstone of her childhood.

Maybe it can be one for her kids too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80