July 3: Vasectomies

When I was in my early 20s, I thought about getting a vasectomy. 


 The reason was that I didn't want children. I never wanted to get married either. I wanted to dedicate myself to indulging every whim (though I rationalized it as "dedicating myself to my art.")


My friends talked me out of it. One of them told me it was the stupidest thing I could possibly do and would cost me a fortune should I ever want to reverse it.

See, I thought of myself as a weirdo. I didn't have any social skills, I had a hard time making friends,  my interests were peculiar, and my motives were very strange. I didn't think it would be a good idea to reproduce.


"Why don't you want to have kids?" people would ask.

"Look at me," I would say. "Do I strike you as the kind of person who should be passing his genes on?"


"Also, I'd be a terrible father," I would say. "I'm so dedicated to my writing and my acting and my magic that I'd probably never pay attention to my kid."


Anyway, I never did get around to getting that vasectomy. I'm happy I didn't. Not sure why though. Maybe if I think about it for a while, it will come to me.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80