July 21: Compliments

Give compliments to people you care about.

Praise in public; criticize in private.

Give people roses sometimes. Don't give yellow roses when you should be giving red ones.




This note is tough to write because I’m not very good at giving compliments or telling people that I care about them. For some stupid reason, the closer you are to me, the hardest it is for me to talk to you. Don’t know why this is and I guess it’s a little sad that I get so much validation from strangers - the people who tend to make up most of my magic show audiences.

On my dad‘s 50th birthday, he sit up in front of all of us and he went around the room and said something nice about every single person in attendance. It was easy for him, it would’ve been the hardest thing in the world for me to do. I wish I wasn’t such a wimp.

I’m gonna be celebrating my 50th in about six months and I will likely try to emulate my father and say something nice about all the people who care enough about me to come to my 50th birthday party. I hope I’m not shaking inside when I do it. But I probably will be.
 
-
 
Sometimes I resort to tongue-in-cheek humour when I should be sweet and vulnerable. My bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80