Dec. 12: How lack of sleep affects one's life

So this morning, I get up at 4 a.m. No idea why. I was sound asleep, dreaming that a clown was following me everywhere (it was a creepy dream) and then BAM! I'm awake. My kid is snoring next to me. He fell asleep at 8:30 p.m. and he slept for like 13 hours straight. That kid doesn't lack for sleep but sometimes he makes me lack it.

Kiddo is on some strange sleep schedule. Sometimes he'll nap until five in the afternoon and then won't go down until two in the morning. That royally sucks when daddy has to be at work at nine the next morning. Good thing that daddy is one of those people who can get by on very little sleep. Winston Churchill was the same way. Eeeeeeee. I like Dr. Pepper.

When you don't sleep, you think about weird things. Sometimes you sort of half think and half dream. It's really weird when that happens.

This one time when I was 25, I did something called the 24-hour playwrighting competition. For the contest, 30 of us were sequestered in a room at Theatre Calgary. After about 14 hours of writing and not sleeping, I decided to call my girlfriend (who had blonde hair.) We were talking about my play and chicken wings and if farts always smell worse when they're released in a tent and then I started telling her that an elephant had walked into the room. Poor girlfriend had no idea what I was talking about. But I really did see an elephant stick its trunk in the room and that's when I decided I was wake-dreaming and I decided to take a catnap.

Another time I was at work really late (it was like 3 a.m.) and I got a phone call from Dilana, the runner-up from Rock Star:Supernova, which was a televised talent search show to find a lead singer to front a rock group that included Tommy Lee and Gilby Clarke. Here is a picture of Dilana:



I was really happy to talk to Dilana because she is a hybrid of Marilyn Manson, Cyndi Lauper and Medusa (and she also happens to be really pretty.) I picked up the phone, ready to ask Dilana how many hours a week she spends on her hair, only to discover that I wasn't talking to Dilana because I was wake-dreaming.

Another time, I was driving home from Kingston at 4 in the morning and I was having a great conversation with Tsar Nicholas II, We were talking about Rasputin and Dr. Pepper and things that go bump in the night and then I realized that Tsar Nicholas II had been executed in 1918. It was at that point that I realized I should pull over and get some sleep. So I did. A lady cop woke me an hour later. She wanted to know if I'd been drinking or if the car was stolen. I said no. She let me go back to sleep.

Tsar Nicholas II was executed along with his wife, some of their servants, and all five of their kids. The Bolsheviks were jerks.

Move my picture up, Shteevie. I want to meet Dilana.Move my picture up, Shteevie. I want to meet Dilana.

I just did a Google search for Dilana and I saw that she played a small nightclub in Calgary a few years ago. Wish I went. I probably could have met her.

All girls should have long hair. Girls with short hair are bad.

I am badI am bad


I am one of the best people in the world.I am one of the best people in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80