Dec. 10: Perfection

While sitting on my bed, my son flipped right over the edge and landed on the floor. He cried for a bit but then I picked him up and he calmed down almost immediately. He was safe in daddy's arms. And while I'm sorry that my son had to experience such a fright, I was grateful that I - little old me - was able to sooth him. I've been doing magic for more than 30 years but calming my son was as close to real magic as I'll likely ever get.

-

I look at old pictures and old videos and I wonder where the time went. Just yesterday he was a newborn, sucking on my nose because he didn't know any better. Now he is able to walk and climb on to my bed and turn the iPad off and on. He can tell me when he's hungry, when he wants a bath, and when he wants to cuddle. He is the world's undisputed champion at banishing sadness. If I am feeling blue, my son will stick his smiling face into my field of vision and all will be right with my world again.

-

My son is stubborn. He is impatient. When he watches his beloved Caillou on the iPad, he cannot resist but to touch the screen and, thus, pause the action. Then he can't figure out to get the episode to begin playing again. His solution is to seek me out so he can throw the iPad at my feet. The iPad is in a protective case so he can't crack the screen.

And then I will grab him and bring him into the bedroom and throw him on the bed and tickle his armpits with my chin and he will laugh and he will say "Dad-deee" and this is perfection.

-

My son has a perfect smile. He has a perfect laugh. He has a perfect heart. He is stubborn and he likes to have his own way but he hates to see the people he loves most when they're upset.

Sometimes, when I am lying in bed, my son will decide that my body would be an amazing surfboard. I am surprised that my chest does not have tiny baby footprints embedded in it.

-

Right now, my son is on a bad schedule. Sometimes, he won't go to be until two in the morning. But when he's finally ready for bed, he will seek me out and he will nuzzle against my chest. I will hear him breathe, I will feel his warm skin against mine, and I will whisper that I love him.

The only thing imperfect about it is it will not last forever.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80