April 26: The best hamburger

The best hamburgers ever came from a chip stand kind of place in Bragg Creek, Alberta. It was called the Steer-Inn and the people who made the burgers branded the buns with tiny esses. We used to buy them with a small order of gravy and we would dip the burgers in the gravy and, my friends, it sho tasted fine.

The Steer-Inn is no longer in Bragg Creek. Since then, every hamburger I've had has been marginal. When I was a teenager, there was a restaurant called Fuddruckers near our house and those hamburgers were pretty good too. You could specify how you wanted it cooked (rare, well done, and everything between.)

I don't like ordering hamburgers from fast food restaurants. I've actually never had a Big Mac and I can't remember the last time I've had a Whopper. Sometimes I'll get a hamburger at Harvey's and this is only because the wait staff will dress your burger while you wait. My hamburgers are always very simple. Nothing but mustard (and sometimes, a squirt of hot sauce.)

Once I went to my friend Ron's house for supper and they were having barbecued hamburgers and I hated them because there were big chunks of onions in the beef patties. I could not finish the burger and I think I embarrassed Ron and he never invited me to his house again. (We were 14.)

Sometimes my parents will barbecue hamburgers out on their patio and they are good too but they just aren't as good as the ones they made in Bragg Creek.

This makes me sad.



Once I dated this girl named Wendy and she had a roommate named Darcy and she had a telephone in her room that was shaped like a hamburger. She used to work at Sport Chek at South Centre Mall. Wendy worked at a clothes store at Chinook Centre. I don't know where she is now. She would be 44. She liked prioducts from The Body Shoppe. She had short hair and she looked a bit like Carey Lowell who played Pam Bouvier in the James Bond movie Licence to Kill. She came to my house once and my brother thought she was cute. She broke up with me because she was still in love with her ex-boyfriend, whose name was Cliff and who sold air conditioners. I met Wendy on Halloween in a nightclub called Circus Maximus, where I had been performing magic tricks. Once I heard her fart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80