May 17: In memory of my papa

My friend, Tomas, specifically asked for this date, May 17, to give me my note-a-day title. It is, of course, "in memory of my papa." My father, thank God, is still with us and I must assume that Tomas's father, unfortunately, is not.

And I am sad for this. I do not know Tomas well and I have never met his father, but Tomas turned into a good and decent man and his father certainly played a role in shaping him, so bravo for his father. His dad was probably at St. Gerard's church once while Tomas and I served as altar boys, so I suppose I can safely assume that I and his father breathed the same air.

If your dad is still alive, you should tell him you love him and appreciate him.

My father did not have a good relationship with his father and left home as early as possible. Despite this, he still allowed his children to know their grandfather and he allowed his dad the luxury of being a grandfather.

I have a corkboard beside my front door and on it are all sorts of things that make me happy. One of them is a letter from my granddad, circa 1996, where he is congratulating me for a bout of success I had in a playwrighting competition. "Books are some of God's happiest gifts," he writes and this strikes me as being absolutely true.

Be happy for a happy childhood, T. It is rare.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80