May 12: OMG I totally forgot

There's this story about Frank Sinatra going out on stage one night and completely blanking. There he was... ole Blue Eyes himself. The orchestra's goin bonkers, the people are cheering, and the chairman of the board can't remember the lyrics.

He stops cold. Stares. The orchestra dies. The crowd is quiet. And then Frank, mortified beyond belief, says to the audience: "I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen. I'm very very sorry."

From up in the balcony, a man stands up and yells "That's okay, Frank. We love you."

Slowly, the crowd rises and applauds this icon of American music. Frank accepts the applause and then the orchestra starts up again and this time, he nails it.

Song's over and Frank points to the man in the balcony. "I love you too, pal."

-

I haven't been in a play for more than 10 years. My entire 30s were spent depriving planet Earth of my talents as a thespian. This may not be a bad thing.

But I have been onstage before and I've acted in plays by Durang, Mamet, and Gwen Pharis Ringwood, and James D Hopkin. My worst fear was always forgetting my lines. I'd look like a heel and the audience, which paid good money to come see a play, would feel slighted.

"One actor had such little respect for us that he didn't even learn his lines properly."

Ugh. Just shoot me.

-

Today, I'm a newspaper editor, which means there's always a million and one little things for me to do at any given time.

Hey kids, want to ace that job interview? Tell your potential employer that you have a three-word motto. This one here:

DO IT NOW!

You won't have many "OMG I totally forgot" moments if you simply DO IT NOW!

But we don't DO IT NOW! We're too lazy. We think: "Yeah, I've got to write up a brief on the hospital fundraiser but it's almost lunchtime and I want to play a round of candy crush so I'll do it later..."

And guess what? You won't.

Make your motto DO IT NOW!

And hello success!!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80