Dec. 8: Blue sky, nothing but blue skies...

Sometimes I enjoy the journey more than the destination. It's better that way. I think everyone can relate.

In the late summer and early fall, I keep myself busy performing at various county fairs. Some of them are less than an hour from my home. And some of them require time on the highway.

The people in my corner tell me to work closer to home. Cheaper that way. Sure, but sometimes it's the people who live in the boonies that are more likely to hire you. The tradeoff is you can get yourself some car time. Now that's the ticket.

Had me lots of car time this past year. Did some campground tours over the Victoria Day and Labour Day weekends. Did some of those county fairs. Did some school shows. And when the weather was nice - blue sky, nothing but blue sky weather - you could count on me to have the moonroof open, my sunglasses on, bottle of cold Dr. Pepper beside me, and my music on the radio.

I love classical music. When it's late at night and I'm relaxing around the house, I'll take me some Bach or Beethoven to get the adrenaline out of my system. But when it's sum-sum-summertime and you got those blue skies a blazing, I'm leaving Mr. Bach at home. Gimme me some Guns n Roses. Gimme some Alice Cooper. Gimme some Aerosmith or David Lee Roth or any of that rock music I remember from high school. That's what I want, baby. Guarantee that I'll have a big ole smile on my face when I shake your hand.




-

Once on one of those hot summer blue sky days, I put my iPod on shuffle and started motorvating down the 417. Mr. iPod gave me the aforementioned Guns n Roses and Alice Cooper and then decided to smack me in the face with Enya.


Now honestly, does that album look like it has even an ounce of testosterone or adrenaline? Does that look like summertime driving music? Not on your life. Enya is great if you're doing an interpretive dance or seducing a girl in a bubble bath, but no way do I want her in my car on a summer day, even if she is wearing that dress. Bye bye, Enya.  

If you're a fellow nostalgic Gen X'er who thinks grunge is the worst thing that happened to popular music, might I suggest you go to the wrecka stow* and pick up this album:


David Lee Roth is one of the most underrated lyricists of all time and this album, released in 1994, is gem of esoteric poetry. Some samples:

And if you think that violence
Never solved a thing, I differ
It solved some crackhead dealer
Down on 14th street much quicker
Explosions way uptown
And if you're wondering where our homeboy is 'bout now

Or this little nugget that could almost come from the lips of St. Paul:

I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss.
Man, that philosophy, goes right through ya...

-

But hey, those blue sky nothing but blue skies days are few and far between right now. We're approaching the winter solstice - it's dark when the workday is over - and the sky is usually grey and pissy and vomiting rain or sleet. Gonna have me a bubble bath tonight and listen to some Enya and wait for the summer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80