Dec. 12: Passing the torch

When my son was born, I fantasized about how one day, he might follow in my footsteps as a magician. I'd start him when he turned seven by buying him a few mechanical magic tricks, get him used to performing for an audience, maybe even invite him onstage with me as a "guest performer" for some of my shows.

Then, we he got older, I might give him more of a challenge. I'd give him a cups and balls set, for example, and tell him to forge a routine. Then would come the day when he would be my roadie, helping me set up my shows at various campgrounds and county fairs and school gymnasiums and theatres. Then would come the day when I would be his roadie, and then the day when I would retire and he would inherit his old man's world.

But God gave my son a mind of his own. The B-Man doesn't have much interest in magic. He is autistic, doesn't quite grasp the emotion-over-logic mindset that good magic depends on. When I show him a trick, he is never amazed. He is either bored, annoyed, or just treats it like a puzzle. He is much more interested in vacuum cleaners; he is destined to be a custodian instead of a magician. He will make dirt disappear, not little red sponge balls.

I am fine with this. My own dad taught me well. Dad was an athlete; he grew up playing baseball and football and hockey. His eldest son (me) tried his hand at sports and quickly learned he had the athletic ability of a gravy ladle. The performing arts is where I shined. My dad never made me feel bad about that. He told me he'd feel just as much pride watching me do Shakespeare than score the winning touchdown.

-

So am I sad that my son won't let me pass the torch of magic on to him? No. If it wasn't for his autism I might be a bit of a "dragon dad," insisting that he start learning some sort of specialized labour in his youth so that it might prove advantageous in adulthood. But maybe he's already one step ahead of me. Whenever we visit one of the community's arenas, he always wants to see the vacuum cleaner. The arena staff are good about it, even let him vacuum the floors. I believe that when my kid is a teenager, he will have a part-time job doing cleanup work somewhere. It will make him happy. That will make me happy too.


 

-

Outside of magic, I am trying to pass the torch of faith on to my boy. Every Sunday, we go to church and sometimes he will go to Sunday school and sometimes he will listen to the sermon with me. We drive around and listen to 90.1, the Mars Hill Network, on the radio. We pray at night and I try not to use bad words around him. 

I guess I just hope he'll turn into a better man than me. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80