Dec. 25: Green Valley

About a five minute drive south of where I live is the small community of Green Valley.

I don't know if Green Valley is considered a village or a hamlet; it's definitely not a town. The biggest business there is Roy's Chevrolet Buick GMC, but there's also a seniors' residence and, I think. a convenience store. There used to be a pizza place but that went under. About two decades ago, there was a French Catholic school - Ecole Ste Marie - but it was closed down so the school board could build a bigger school in a nearby community. There is also a Catholic church in Green Valley. The church has a wonderfully sloped roof and a giant stations of the cross outside. There's even a tiny cave where you can meditate on Christ's burial.



As a journalist, I have visited Green Valley on several occasions. Once I watched firefighters put out a fire there. I have eaten in that now-shuttered pizza place. And I visited the Calvary with my mom.

According to City Facts, Green Valley has a population of about 420 and the median age is 47, which means that the average Green Valley resident us younger than me. Also, one of Green Valley's newest residents is a good photographer with a nice doggie.

And it is Christmas and I am exhausted so that's all I can write about Green Valley.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80