Dec. 24: That's the mustache talking

 Whenever I think of mustaches, I think immediately of Lanny McDonald, former captain of the Calgary Flames, particularly the Stanley Cup Champion team of 1989. Lanny's mustache was legendary, a big ginger walrus, and he was known as much for his facial hair as he was for his puck-handling skills.


Lanny McDonald wrote a book, which happens to be in the Dalkeith library near me. I read part of that book when I was in the library one day and I came out of there really liking Lanny McDonald. Lanny is my favourite mustached person ever. Here are some other famously mustached people who are not as good as Lanny McDonald:

- My Grade 9 science teacher, Ken Wasylenko.

- My former boss, JT Grossmith.

- Stacy Keach, who played Mike Hammer on TV.

- Tom Selleck, who played Magnum PI.

- Lemmy of Motorhead (now dead.)

- Freddie Mercury of Queen (also dead.)

By the way, Canada agrees with me because of all the people I mention above, Lanny McDonald is the only one who received the Order of Canada.

-

 Razor blade manufacturers even offered Lanny money if he would shave his mustache off, but he refused. Saying no was a good thing for Lanny to do. That's because his mustache wasn't just hair, it was a brand. It was his personality. It was him. Calgarians would have felt betrayed if Lanny McDonald ever shaved off his mustache. By contrast, my Grade 9 science teacher, Ken Wasylenko, once shaved off his mustache. No one cared. But my Grade 9 science teacher didn't win the Stanley Cup that year. Draw your own conclusions.

-

In his Lanny book, Lanny talked about a brief unhappy tenure with the Colorado Rockies, a team that used to be the perennial bottom dwellers of the National Hockey League. Lanny talked about how the Rockies were trailing a game 3-1 one night and then the coach, Don Cherry, called the team over to the bench.

"Boys," Mr. Cherry allegedly said. "That team you're playing is about six goals better than you and you're holding them to a two-goal lead. I'm proud of you. I'm buying everyone dinner tonight."

Classy move on Don Cherry's part. Don Cherry, who used to be a big part of Hockey Night in Canada, was fired in 2019 for an "insensitive thing" he said about immigrants, particularly their alleged refusal to wear poppies around Remebrance Day. He had a few other missteps over the year but I liked the guy anyway. I still like him and if I saw him on the street, I'd tell him I missed him. Don Cherry is also a big supporter of women's hockey and, like Lanny McDonald and my sister, is an Aquarius.

Even though Don Cherry doesn't have a mustache.

Neither does my sister.

But hey, that's just the mustache talking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80