Dec. 15: Pushing it through

 Tell you what, friends and neighbours, I have COVID tonight. Yep, took the test yesterday and saw those two pink lines on the free test they gave me at Shoppers Drug Mart. All last night I had a pounding headache, a wet cough, and a nose that wouldn't stop running. Today has been a day of relaxing and get-well-soon.

I expect to "push it through", as it were. COVID is annoying but, for me, it's much less severe than allergies or that really nasty bug I had a few years ago when I couldn't even walk. Seriously, I had to crawl around my apartment. I called to have groceries delivered and they left it right outside my door. Crawling over to it was Everest. In the end, I sat against my front door and drank orange juice right from the carton and felt sorry for myself.

-

As providence would have it, I was surfing the Christian web the other day and came across that passage in Luke 18 about how it's easier for a camel to walk through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven. That always freaked me out. Mostly because I'm rich. Well, at least I am compared to most of the people in the world and most of the people who lived before me. I know I don't have a mansion or a thick stock portfolio, but I own the computer that I am writing this on and I can afford to order pizza twice a month. That makes me rich.

Do I own my possessions or do my possessions own me?

-

Met a homeless guy once. He had a red ball. The ball was not big, maybe it was the size of a quarter. He told me he bought it from a vending machine outside a grocery store. "Cost me 25 cents," he said. 

That ball was his one luxury. Everything else he owned was a necessity. He had some clothes, plus another set in his pack. That's about it. He spent his days panhandling for change.

With a red ball in his pocket.

-

And now I am going to wrap this up so I can rest a bit.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80