Feb. 22: Life is not a box of chocolates, it's more like a box of hair dye

I bought hair dye tonight. I bought it because I got a haircut and that uncovered all the gray in my hair. I do not like it. Gray hair is bad!!!!!

-

Forrest Gump was wrong. Life is not like a box of chocolates. In life, you may not know what you're going to get but with a box of chocolates, you do. Every box of chocolates I've ever had has come with a diagram telling me which chocolates are coffee flavoured and which ones have coconut. The most famous analogy from a 90s movie is actually deeply flawed.

This is only appropriate since Forrest Gump should not have won best picture that year. That honour should have gone to Pulp Fiction.

History has vindicated me on this.

-

I have dyed my hair a few times and, quite frankly, I never know what I'm going to get. This is particularly true if I'm bleaching my hair or dying it green (tried that for a lark two years ago the day before my friend, Melissa, shaved my head for charity.) My hair is often all blotchy or uneven or not looking at all like the hair of the model on the dye box (I am actually happy about this because most of the models are women.)

As such, if you're looking for mystery, you'll be better off with a box of Clairol than you will Pot of Gold.

-

When I was a kid, I used to get my mom Turtles on the thee gift-giving occasions - which were Christmas, Mother's Day and her birthday.

I stopped when I realized that her enjoyment of the Turtles were temporal. The picture that my brother got her could be enjoyed, in theory, forever.

I started looking for more lasting gifts.

But I never bought her hair dye.

-

My dad, who started going gray in his 20s, has never dyed his hair. Today his hair is almost totally white. I don't know why he never coloured it. Maybe he's not as vain as his eldest son.

-

I am cutting this note short because I want to get up early tomorrow for the gold medal hockey game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80