Aug. 3: La la la he he he

La is the French word for the. However, it is feminine. In French, nouns are either boys or girls. I don't know why this is. French people are freaky.

He is English for a male. When someone says "he is buying turnips" you can be rest assured that the turnip purchaser has a penis.

As such, la he is a contradiction. La la la he he he is a triple contradiction.

Paradox.

-

The Dutch philosopher and theologian Soren Kierkegaard loved paradoxes – felt they are intellectual necessities. He agreed with the early Church father Tertullian that Christianity was absurd. Despite this, it was to be embraced, not dismissed.



-

I don't know a whole lot about Kierkegaard. I remember quoting him to some of my mother's work colleagues and they were super impressed (and super drunk, to boot.) We were talking about television and whether or not it was a force for good or evil. At that point, I quoted Soren's oft-quoted snippet: "Suppose someone invented an instrument, a convenient little talking tube which, say, could be heard over the whole land...I wonder if the police would not forbid it, fearing that the whole country would become mentally deranged if it were used."

Full disclosure: I didn't read Kierkegaard's essay from which the quote was pulled. I merely remembered it from a book called The Culting of America, which was written by Christian apologist Ron Rhodes.



-

I don't recommend The Culting of America to anyone these days. That's not because there isn't any good stuff in it, it's because it's so dated (published in 1994.) There's a section where Ron is talking about celebrities who embrace the New Age Movement - chief culprits: Shirley MacClane and Stepfanie Kramer, who played Dee Dee McCall on the 1980s cop show, Hunter.

Internal Affairs is investigating me for having 80s hair.Internal Affairs is investigating me for having 80s hair.

-

Nowadays, you'd be hard pressed to find a celebrity who believes in reincarnation or Tarot cards or aura readings. There are at least a thousand names on the celebrity atheist list - something that would have been unthinkable when my dad was a teenager. My favourite filmmaker, Todd Solondz, is on the list. My favourite playwright, David Mamet, is not.

Neither is Prince.

-

David Mamet once said this about the Bible: The Bible is about God screwing up. Why does God keep screwing up? Because he has a problem. What's his problem? Human beings.

Ahahahaha! If I were an atheist and someone asked me why I don't believe in God, I'd say: "Because he made people."

But I'm not an atheist.

Neither is Prince.

-

La la la he he he.

I want U. U want me.

-

La la la he he he is the name of a Prince song. He wrote it because he was challenged to write a song using those six syllables as a title. Someone challenged me to use that title as my note-a-day and I turned it into a missive about Kierkegaard and David Mamet and Ron Rhodes and Stepfanie Kramer and Prince. We should raise Kierkegaard from the dead and then the six of us should go out for ice cream and Dr. Pepper and we'd talk all night about Glengarry Glen Ross and Purple Rain.

Oh, how sexy it will be
Ever get together in my tree

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80