Aug. 20: Let's work

I like to take my 18-month old son to work with me. Much of my job is spent on the road and, for the most part, I am happy to have him along.

I say this not just because I enjoy spending time with my son, I say it because I want my son to understand the importance of work.

I want him to see me working hard and I want him to wonder why I work so hard because I want him to understand that the money daddy makes is directly tied to how hard he works. I want him to know that if you want to get somewhere in life, you have to work for it. There are no shortcuts.

-

Sometime around my son's 10th birthday, I will sit him down and tell him that there are two sorts of work he can offer the world. (This conversation will proceed the earlier conversations we have where I will teach him that he is not entitled to anything and that he owes the world something, not vice-versa.) The two sorts of work are specialized labour and unspecialized labour.

Unspecialized labour is something everyone can do with little to no training. Washing dishes, sweeping up garbage, filling cars up with gas - these are examples of unspecialized labour. Brain surgery, crown prosecuting, installing power stations and doing card tricks are examples of specialized labour.

As a rule, specialized labour pays more than unspecialized labour. I will ask my son which he'd prefer to offer the world. Since he is a bright boy, I think he will choose the former.

Then I will see if he wants to follow in my footsteps as magician. If he says yes (and I am completely prepared for the fact that a magical life may not be for him) then I will teach him everything I know.

Maybe he'll be twice the magician I am and travel the world.

I wouldn't be unhappy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80