Dec. 26: Shteevie makes a turkey

 I really did make a turkey. For the first time ever, I made a turkey.

I'm so grateful that at the place where I work, they give everyone $100 every year to make a Christmas meal. So I took that C-note right to Your Independent Grocer and I got myself a turkey. It was one of those remade thingees that had already been basted in bourbon and butter. The label said that I could put the frozen turkey in a roasting pan and heat it at 350 degrees. The label was wrong.

I got up at 8 in the morning to put the turkey in the oven. That's because Christmas dinner was supposed to take place around 1 that afternoon. Mr. Turkey decided he wanted to take longer to cook. The turkey wasn't ready until well after 3.

Much of this intel was shared with me by the mom of Ash, who knows more about cooking turkeys than I do (most people do.) I also got some advice from my mom and my brother via Zoom, but this wasn't about making the turkey. This was about making gravy out of the turkey drippings and making sauce for the Christmas pudding. Everything turned out well because I took the advice about people who are better in the kitchen than I am.

Kel made stuffing and Ash made casseroles and salad and the mom of Ash made mashed potatoes and B-Man played in the water. 

In the future, I will thaw the turkey before I put it in the oven. I don't care what the label says. 

-

The turkey was fine but I could taste the bourbon buried in it. I didn't care for it but I still ate. Next year, I won't choose a bourbon-soaked turkey. I think I prefer sober birds.

Well, Christmas is over. Soon it will be NewYear's and then it will be my birthday and then there will be three months of cold weather to complain about. Brrrr. 



I want it noted that the turkey was cooked in a brand new roasting pan that I bought at Wal-Mart for $15. I was pleasantly surprised. I thought a good roasting pan would cost $100. Actually, that's probably true. The Wal-Mart roasting pan will probably fall apart in the spring when I use it to try to make a ham.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80