Dec. 25: If this was the last Christmas

 If this was the last Christmas, I guess I would have given you my heart. But tomorrow, Boxing Day, I'd have to watch you give it away. I imagine that I would vow to give my heart to someone special the next year in order to save me from tears.

-

See what I did there?

-

Everything about Last Christmas - I am talking about the Wham song - disturbs me. Here is a brief list of things that bug me about it:

1. It is overplayed.

2. It is the first "modern" Christmas song I ever heard, which meant it didn't have anything to do with sacred Christmas carols (all about Jesus and Mary and the manger) or secular Christmas carols (all about Frosty and Santa and Winter Wonderlands.) No, Last Christmas was just another pop song about someone loving someone and maybe them not loving back. It was a top 40 hit masquerading as a Christmas carol.

3. The fact that George Michael is singing it but in the music video, he is playing the role of the person to whom the girl gives her heart to "the very next day." (Though this could be me just misinterpreting the video.)

4. Also in the music video, nobody wears toques, which is a strange seeing as how the whole thing takes place at a mountain ski resort. I guess the director told George Michael that he'd have to risk frostbite in order to show off his 80s mullet.

5. That George Michael and the other guy in Wham! and all of these beautiful people in their 20s are spending Christmas in a private ski lodge. That was anaethema to my 11-year-old brain. I couldn't understand why these kids would want to spend Christmas away from mom and dad. 

-

At this point, I will stop being silly. I wrote the first part of this note early in the morning, when I was still groggy from sleep. 

Now that Christmas is more than 75% over, I think I can say that if this was the last Christmas, I might be cool with that. True I didn't get to spend it with my family in Alberta but I did get to spend it with B-Man, Kelsey, Ash, and her mom. I also got to make supper - well most of it, anyway - and now I am back at my apartment, relaxing with the B-Man. I should also mention that Kel, Ash, Ash's mom and I all played the Charlie Brown Christmas board game and Kel won.

But only because I let her.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80