Sept. 29: !

Some editors hate exclamation points. They don't think they're necessary.

But I like 'em. Exclamation points make comic books possible.

-

Even so, I rarely use exclamation points. I don't think I've ever used them in note-a-day. Maybe I should start.

!!!!!!!!!

How's that?

-

In researching this note, I came across a LinkedIn article written by a guy named Jason Piasecki, who is the CEO of Revel. Jason has a bone to pick with marketers who rely on exclamation points. He points out that exclamation points are supposed to be used to convey strong emotion like anger or joy. Then he complains that the things copywriters put on billboards are not deserving of exclamation points. Seriously, does anyone get super excited about Mattress World having the largest mattress collection in the tristate area? Or that Berk's Fried Chicken has a three-piece meal on sale for $7.99 until the end of October?

He has a point. My heart doesn't skip a beat when I find out I can get greasy chicken on sale. In fact, I would be so excited that Berk's Fried Chicken is having a sale that I would tell absolutely no one. If I am not willing to share the news with you, it's not deserving of an exclamation point.

Here are some sentences that deserve exclamation points:

THE FLAMES WON THE STANLEY CUP!!!

I JUST WON A FERRARI!!!

MY NOVEL GOT PUBLISHED!!!

ALIENS JUST LANDED IN VANCOUVER!!!

EEEEEEE!!!

-

Apparently, women are more likely to use exclamation points than men. I don't think I believe this because women don't generally do the lettering in comic books.

At that point I rest





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80