Jan. 3: Archie comics

I used to give my sister Archie comics for Christmas. She loved Archie comics, as do millions of readers around the world. They love them for one reason - they are light reading. They exist only because we live in a world where it's necessary to wait.

I would go to the used book store and buy about $20 worth of old Archie comics, which I would then load into a cardboard box. My sister was never offended with this. She knew that a used Archie cost $1 whereas a new one would cost at least five dollars. When it came to Archie comics, my sister valued quantity over quality.

When I was a student at a Christian theatre school back in 1991, we went to this Christian camp where there were Christianized Archie comics. Those stories did not include Sabrina the Teenaged Witch and the main storylines were about how Archie and the gang made the world a better place by spreading the gospel message. Reggie had to reign in his vanity and Veronica had to deal with her greed and Jughead his gluttony. Betty didn't really change at all though. Betty is pretty much a Christian anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80