Jan. 1: One Direction

I bought One Direction tickets for her 13th birthday. She has about nine months and three weeks to go until the One Direction concert. By that time, she may no longer be a fan of One Direction. It's entirely possible that she could discover Led Zeppelin or Marilyn Manson, though I sincerely hope not.

I don't know who she will take to the One Direction concert. I hope she takes a friend. Twenty years from now, when she looks back at her adolescence, I would like her to see the One Direction concert as a happy memory. And, yes, I'd like her to remember that I made it possible.

I was around her age when I went to my first concert. It was Huey Lewis and the News. I went with my mom. This mildly embarrassed me. I would have been mortified had we been at a concert where I would have seen "friends from school" but Huey Lewis was hip to be square. Didn't run into anyone and so I had fun.

My mom bought me Alice Cooper tickets for Christmas in 1989 and I accepted them, though I was not ecstatic. The very fact that she bought me Alice Cooper tickets showed that she approved of my music - or, at the very least, tolerated it. I didn't like that. I viewed Alice Cooper as a haunted bogeyman. His very presence in my burgeoning collection of cassette tapes was supposed to broadcast my deep mental issues, that I may have required institutionalization (this would have given me the attention I so earnestly craved while confirming my teenaged fantasy that my anti-social tendencies could be chalked up to the fact that I was an unrecognized genius.)

Mom was smarter. She knew Alice Cooper was as harmless as Kermit the Frog. I went to the Alice Cooper concert with my best friend and neither one of us became devil worshippers.

I don't like One Direction. I tolerate them but I don't begrudge any young person for admiring their music. I don't get off on their sound but that is because I am an old fart whose jukebox is stuck in the 80s.

The 13-year-old hates my music, and says so. I am not a fan of young people's music today. I think Nicki Minaj is a disgusting little whore. Then again, I have long declared my admiration for the music of Prince and Aerosmith. Is their message any different from Minaj's?

One Direction is bubblegum pop. They won't be around 10 years from now but that's okay. By that time, they'll be able to afford not to be famous.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80