Nov. 4: Lakeboat

My grandad used to have a boat. It was orange. I asked him if it had a name. He said it was the Edwin. I think he made the name up on the spot. My grandad's name is Edward.

The boat's home was my grandparents' cottage in Cochin on the east side of Jackfish Lake. There was a sort of jack outside the cottage where the boat could be lifted out of the water or lowered into it. I asked why the jack was necessary and was told that in the winter, the lake would freeze and damage the boat.

Sometimes in the winter, particularly when it was a very cold night, I would worry about that poor boat. I worried it was cold and lonely. I used to think that inanimate objects have feelings. I still think that.

I have not been water skiing since Jackfish Lake. My grandad's boat is the only one that took me water skiing. I also used it for wakeboarding and water tubing. I was in the tube with two of my cousins and we hit a massive wave and all of us were thrown into the water. We were wearing lifejackets. They saved our lives.

Once my grandad took me fishing in that boat. I caught a fish and I felt bad for the fish but then my grandfather killed it and gutted it and we ate it that night and I was proud that I had fed my family.

The boat is gone now. I don't think it's even a boat anymore. It's probably been ripped apart and used for parts and scrap metal.

That is the story of the lakeboat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80