Nov. 18: The woods

My grandparents' farmhouse was surrounded by trees. I asked my mother if the trees constituted a forest and she said no, they constituted the woods.

To this day, I believe there is a difference between a forest and the woods. A forest is wild and untamed habitat for trees. By contrast, when I think about the woods, I think of a group of trees located in an area where people can enjoy leisure time. You can play in the woods but you can't play in the forest. You can walk through a forest but you don't want to play hide and seek there. A forest has the potential to be haunted. The woods do not.

-

I wonder if trees would object to be called 'The woods.' I understand that trees are made of wood but when humans talk about wood, they are usually talking about the stuff that has been separated from trees. When I say I need some wood, I am probably wanting to make a fire or build a birdhouse or publish a book. What that really means is that when I say I need wood, I am saying that a tree needs to die so my life can be more convenient.

If trees could talk, maybe they would refer to people as "the bones." That's because we have bones in us and, if you see a dead person, their bones are probably the most useful thing about them. Can't do much with a dead person's hair or eyeballs or spleen, but if you give me his bones I could carve a knife or make a slingshot or a fishing rod. If I was in a bad mood, I might be able to sift through those bones and find something humerus.

If trees could walk around and if they could communicate and kill people, they might kill people and take their bones and use them as tree fertilizer buildings.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80