Sept. 4: Fun things to do on the Labour Day Weekend

As luck would have it, I’m having a fun Labour Day right now. It is early in the morning of Sunday, Sept. 4, and I am lying on a couch in a friend's living room. On the other couch is Kelsey, still fast asleep. Soon I will wake her so she can realize her dream of seeing Niagara Falls.
 
The last time I was at Niagara Falls was when my friend was leaving for Colombia with her husband. That was not over Labour Day weekend. It was early July of 2009. 
 
I have been doing a project called photo-a-day everyday since 2008. Because of that, I have a pretty good idea what I’ve been doing over the past nine Labour Day weekends. Here is what I did:
 
2008: Did research in Ottawa. 
 
2009: Took photos of Ashley after she dyed her hair and gave an old man a ride home and then looked at a chair.
 
2010: Dyed my hair brown and then did a magic show in Long Sault.
 
2011: Did magic at the Stormont Fair.
 
2012: Did more magic at the Stormont Fair and bought a Nexus tablet.
 
2013: Worked for the newspaper and looked after my kid.
 
2014: Spent the whole weekend watching my son splash around in rain puddles.
 
2015: Watched a concert, took Kelsey to see One Direction in Montreal, did about four campground magic shows.

And we all know what I did this Labour Day.
 
Yesterday, we went to the zoo. We were supposed to spend the weekend watching the Cleveland Indians play baseball, but I was denied entry into the United States. Reason: I had magic tricks in my car. I could have done a magic show in the US, gotten paid for it, and took money away from an American magician. The whole economy would have collapsed. Awful stuff.
 
I’m sure my teenaged Labour Day weekends were filled with as much fun as possible before summer began. I remember spending pretty much an entire summer at my friend’s house. We slept in his family’s trailer and stayed up all night giggling about the stupidest stuff imaginable. I remember his mom not letting me sleep over the Sunday before Labour Day. She said Labour Day should be reserved for getting our bodies adjusted to the school schedule, and she was right, as parents usually are.
 
Someone is stirring. I must go. We have a busy day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80