Sept. 3: Pick a card...

Here is a conversation that never happened. I wish I experienced it when I was a novice in magic. It probably would have helped.
 
There are two characters. One is a magician and the other is a very smart spectator.
 
Magician: Pick a card.
 
Spectator: Why?
 
Magician: Uhhh... because I asked.
 
Spectator: So. Why does that mean I have to take one?
 
Magician: Because I want to show you a magic trick.
 
Spectator: And why do you want to show me a magic trick? Is it because you want to show off your sleight-of-hand skill so you can feel good about yourself?
 
Magician: No, I just want you to take a card.
 
Spectator: Okay. But what do I get out of this transaction? What are you hoping I’ll experience? Awe? Wonder? I doubt I’ll experience either of them. Probably the only thing I’ll experience is resentment because all you’re doing is showing off something that most people can’t do.
 
Magician: Well, what about that juggler over there? Is he showing off?
 
Spectator: There’s a difference. He’s just performing and he’s not asking anyone to participate. People who walk past him can choose to stop and watch him or they can keep on walking. The same doesn’t apply to you. You stopped me, you asked me to take a card, and you haven’t told me why I need to take one. So far, I think you have the mentality of a five-year-old saying: “Look mommy! Look what I can do!”
 
Magician: If you don’t want to take a card, don’t take one.
 
Spectator: Look, the problem here isn’t my fault. I’m not being a spoilsport. I’m just being honest. Most magicians never ask themselves why they’re performing magic or why their audiences should watch them. So let me ask you that. Why should I watch you?
 
Magician: Well why should you go to the movies? Why should you read novels? Why should you listen to music?
 
Spectator: I go to movies and I read novels because they tell stories. Stories are endlessly fascinating. In fact, I would say that human beings spend the vast majority of their lives telling or listening to stories. People have always been fascinated with stories and they always will be.
 
Magician: But I’m a magician. I’m not a storyteller.
 
Spectator: You have to be both. Otherwise, you’re not a magician.
 
Magician: Hey, where are you going?
 
Spectator: To the movies. I want to experience a story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sept. 13: You don't know what you gave up

Dec.19: The day Steve dropped my Phoenix

Dec. 10: Brothers over 80